Friday, November 12, 2010

The Best Apple Recipe Ever

It is starting to get really chilly up North and we actually got our first snow a few days ago! I was so excited but it was pretty much the most lame snow ever since it was barely a sprinkling, melted within a couple hours and was then warm enough later for me to rake leaves. I can't wait for the first REAL snow because I absolutely love walking around while it is snowing and coming home and having a cup of hot chocolate. Snow also equals holidays for me and starting next week I am going to go ahead and decorate for Christmas. I don't really have any Thanksgiving decorations and I like Christmas ones much better so it is going to come a bit early in our house. Last year we didn't get to celebrate Christmas in a traditional way (since we were laying on a beach drinking cocktails on our honeymoon) so this year I really want to go all out.

Now for the promised apple recipe:
I don't want to be responsible for destroying all other apple recipes but seriously this is one of the absolute best recipes and it is so simple. I have made this recipe countless times and I always get tons of compliments and people wanting to take leftovers home which is my favorite compliment :) Please, just make this and you will not be disappointed.

Apple Butterscotch Tart
This is a ridiculously simple recipe that really tricks the people who eat it into thinking that you slaved over a stove but I can write this recipe in just a few steps. First, you line your tart pan with pie dough (I waver between making my own crust and using store bought dough depending on how much time and energy I have...both versions turn out well) and trim away excess dough. I like to combine all the leftover dough and then cut out themed shaped like leaves or pumpkins to decorate the tops. Williams-Sonoma has great crust cut-outs that I REALLY recommend. It makes it much easier and it ends up looking great. Fall Crust Cutters
Then you get to work on your apples. I like to use Granny Smith apples in this recipe since it can become too sweet if you aren't careful and so you really need the tartness of granny smith, also they cook beautifully. Peel and slice about 5 cups of apples thinly.
Toss your apples into your crust and then sprinkle the butterscotch chips over the apples. I kinda shake it a bit to get the chips distributed and because I like a lot of butterscotch chips.
Mmm....love it!
Then you blend your flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbles. I use a pastry blender sometimes but I get annoyed when the butter keeps getting stuck between the blades so if I am impatient I just use my hands and it goes much faster. Toss in your chopped pecans and you're good to go! Sprinkle the deliciousness over your apples/butterscotch chips and you're pretty much done.
This version has no pecans because I was out but trust me, it is much better with pecans, it gives it a bit of salty crunch. I also did a last sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Just toss your creation in a 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until your apples are nice and tender and that's it! Let it sit for a while before you try to remove the side of the tart pan or it may get a bit messy.
All baked and ready to eat
Logan loves this served with vanilla ice cream but I am purist and love it by itself with maybe a bit of whipped cream. This recipe is one of my absolute favorites because it is ready quickly, has few ingredients and gives you such a warm, comforting, and flavorful result. This tart is equally at home on your table for a quick weekday dessert or all dressed up for a formal sit down Thanksgiving meal but no matter where you eat it, I guarantee you will enjoy the wealth of fall flavors.

Apple Butterscotch Tart
1 Pastry for single-crust
5 Cups of peeled, thinly sliced apples (recommend using Granny Smith or any other tart cooking variety)
1 Cup of butterscotch chips
3/4 Cup of flour
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Tsp cinnamon
a dash of salt
1/3 Cup of chopped pecans
*ice cream or whipped cream for topping*


Thanksgiving is in less than two weeks! I'll definitely be posting my menu (I am making a ridiculously large amount of food for just two people) and posting pictures of my first year of holiday decorating in a house! What are your own Thanksgiving menus looking like? Are you going traditional turkey feast or outside the box?
 
Counting down till Thanksgiving,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment