Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cranberry Apple Cider Sauce...good enough to eat plain

Thanksgiving is in T-minus 24 hours (I am planning on sitting down for our feast at 2pm so we can still have some daylight to take a turkey hazed walk before gorging on pie.) I actually made a schedule for myself and I am pleased to have completed my Wednesday tasks! I made my cheese ball, spiced nuts, dough for potato rolls (which is quite the involved process since you have to make mashed potatoes first), and cranberry apple cider sauce. I had heard of a similar concept on some food network show so I took the idea and ran with it. I had never made this recipe before since I made it up but I am so ridiculously pleased because I could eat this cranberry sauce plain...and may have done that a bit...*shame face*.

Cranberry Apple Cider Sauce:
This is a really easy recipe and it let me get rid of the last of the apples from the orchard and I think I will eat this sauce on biscuits, yogurt and fingers so do yourself a favor and make it...it only takes like 20-30 minutes so go do it....now...well first read the recipe then do it :)
The Cast! Except for the secret ingredient...
Since this is not a traditional sauce you replace the water for apple juice or apple cider (whichever you have) although if you use apple juice you may want to put more spices in it. Add the juice and your sugar and dissolve in a pan over medium heat and then add the secret ingredient!

Just a shot or so, enough to make it full of deliciousness
Then add your cranberries, chopped apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I tossed in a few cinnamon sticks because I am wild and crazy like that.
Pretty!
Stir it all up and let it heat over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. It is awesome because you will hear the cranberries make these popping sounds as they explode. Let it heat until all the cranberries have exploded because as they do this they will release pectin which will thicken your sauce nicely.
I kept taking pictures because I thought it was so pretty.
After a while it will be nice and thick so give it a taste to see if you need anymore sweetness and spiciness. I will warn you, the quantities in the recipe make a fairly tart sauce because that's what I like so adjust if you need a really sweet sauce.
Voila! Delicious cranberry apple cider sauce!
This recipe makes about a bowl full and seriously, it is really yummy on just about anything. Let me know if you have any variations of cranberry sauce that you use, I am new to the cranberry and I am excited to try new recipes. The next cranberry one on my list is:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/nantucket-cranberry-pie/
It looks so tasty and her recipes are always yummy.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cranberry Apple Cider Sauce
1 12oz bag of cranberries
1/2 cup of apple juice or apple cider
1/4 cup of sugar *add more if you like a sweeter sauce
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped-as always I like Granny Smith
1 Tsp of cinnamon *and feel free to toss in some cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp of nutmeg

And lastly for your enjoyment, a picture of my cat sticking her tongue out at you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment