Monday, July 25, 2011

Two Weeks Down + Bruschetta

Good news! The heat wave has actually broken!! Ugh, all last week it was around or above 100 degrees. It was crazy because in Oklahoma we are use to heat--we kinda scoff at ONLY 95 degrees, especially since it got up to around 110 there last week-- but here very few people have air conditioning. When Logan and I were house hunting central air conditioning was not on my wish list, it was on my must have or will turn into a hell beast list. Seriously, I kinda turn into a hell beat when I am hot but Lord help you if I am hot, hungry AND tired. So for the sake of our marriage we bought a house with central air but very few of my neighbors have it. It seems like the norm is having a window unit in the bedroom but just use fans, open windows and a prayer for the rest of the house. For an Oklahoma gal like me, it's weird and I am in awe of their fortitude.
Anyway, so because it was a million degrees outside I did most of my runs last week at the gym. I have a love/hate relationship with my gym.
I love that they have tons of weight machines (I am intimidated by free weights)
I hate that I am the only girl who doesn't seem to wear makeup while working out (I seriously don't get it, what is the point? One time I wore mascara because I worked out in the evening and it was running down my face by the end. I get really sweaty...I know it's pretty attractive)
I love that there is always a free treadmill/elliptical/bike
I hate that the trainers will sometimes troll around the gym looking for new clients. Yeah, I don't want to do embarrassing exercises in the middle of the gym while people scoff at my lack of fitness. But thanks for asking.
I love that I rocked out my runs this week and even did some sprinting intervals and didn't die.
Now, the number one reason why I HATE my gym: they have this funky philosophy that keeping the temperature around 78 degrees will help reduce soreness. Yeah, all this does is make me sweat profusely and make me really cranky. I pay each month, lets turn down the air.
The best part of my gym is that it's less than a mile from my house. Plus they have a pool and a sauna.

I am two weeks into my training and, big surprise, I haven't made up my mind about the Surftown Half. The good news about this is that registration is the same price until the end of August so I still have many weeks of indecision. I have gotten some questions about what training program I am following so here it is:
Week Half Marathon Training Schedule
WeekMonTueWedThuFriSatSunTotal
13Rest33Rest4Rest13
23Rest43Rest5Rest15
33Rest43Rest6Rest16
43Rest53Rest8Rest19
53Rest53Rest10Rest21
64Rest54Rest11Rest24
74Rest64Rest12Rest26
84Rest54Rest9Rest22
93Rest43Rest8Rest18
103Rest3Walk 2Rest13.1Rest21.1
When I researched training programs I found some that had runs 5 times a week and some with 4 and shockingly, I chose a 4/week program. I know myself: I would throw in the towel if I had to run 5/week. I liked that this one has normal runs 3/week and one big long distance run. One change I did make is up the distance on week 7 from 12 miles to 13.1. I really like running the full distance before a race. It helps me get over the mental part of running and I know that I can do it because I have done it before (just like Harry with his patronus in Prisoner of Azkaban! Quick side note: I am still really sad that Harry Potter is done).

I am in the third week of the program and its going really well. I did my long distance last week at a track and thought "oh it's just 20 laps" by the end I wanted to die...ugh...around and around and around....bleh! I think I can only do 3 to 4 miles at a track, it just gets way too repetitive.

In other news, I have had such a ridiculous craving for bruschetta. Tomatoes are in season now and they are just so full of flavor and can be eaten plain with just a touch of sea salt and olive oil. I tend to like simple bruschetta more than the recipes that have a laundry list of ingredients. So please do yourself a favor and buy some farmer's market tomatoes, grow/buy fresh basil and make some-it's delicious and also pretty low cal. This recipe tends to make enough for two since I rather just have to make more than have leftovers.

Simple Summer Bruschetta
2/3 tomatoes chopped up (make take more if you are using tiny little roma tomatoes) I like to drain them since they get really juicy when chopped up
Bunch of basil-seriously, those recipes that call for 4 leaves I can't imagine. I love the flavor of fresh basil so I grow a big pot of it and grab a big bunch when making this. Chop it up really fine.
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Drizzle of olive oil
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Loaf of french bread
Cut up the french bread and toast it in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes until crisp. Once it comes out  rub the bread with a cut clove of garlic (this gives it a really nice bit of garlic oil). Mix tomatoes, basil, garlic and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Toss in a bit of salt and pepper and taste. This is one of those recipes that adapts wonderfully so play with it! It works best if you let it refrigerate for a little while to let the flavors marry. Put a bunch of it on a piece of bread and enjoy...repeat again and again. Nom. Nom. Nom.
Not a picture of my bruschetta because I ate it all before I thought to take a picture. I could take a picture of my growing bruschetta belly....then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment